[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
heeen's blame forum • View topic - Sidonia "Design Memo"

<  Manga  ~  Sidonia "Design Memo"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:11 pm
HumanPosts: 9Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:55 pm
So in issue 16 there's a nifty "design memo" .

Seeing as how one of my hobbies is to waste massive amounts of time doing 3d modelling that will never see the light of day (usually for good reason: I kinda suck) I figured that I would take some time in SketchUp to do a rough draft of it; maybe go into detail later on.

Measurements at a glance: an oblong hexagon with the broad x-axis measuring 5km on the interior, that gave me a rough y-axis of 36km and a guestimated z-axis of 3km on the narrow angle. The exterior hull seems to be somewhere around 800 meters.

It's divided up into roughly 9km of "underground levels", 15km of residential open-air space divided into three tiers, and 6km of water storage/aquaculture (this works out to over 6,300,000 cubic kilometers of water, meaning 1664283927600000 gallons. anyone else thirsty?).

At any rate, I'm going to work on the 3D model for a bit longer, then I'll post some images. I can probably find a way to share the model at some point, if anyone is interested.
Attachments:
File comment: very early draft
0001 sidonea.png
0001 sidonea.png [ 15.66 KiB | Viewed 18096 times ]

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:39 pm
Self Aware AIPosts: 159Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:53 pm
That's pretty cool, man. I'll be looking forward to the more final drafts.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:00 pm
Still working at things; I'm only using SketchUp for this because there's no other sensible way to do something on this scale. The 3D model is 1:1, if that wasn't obvious.

I was randomly fiddling in the "outer hull" section, playing with making a series of corridors and empty spaces; just quickly expanding walls around with no real method. Forty-five minutes later I decided to zoom out and see how it looked.

To give you an idea of scale: If you can see the entire model from top to bottom, the area that I designed (several hundred meters in all directions) basically looks like a dead pixel on my screen.

I also come bearing New Content:

Below is an image I made, superimposing a rough version of one of the habitation levels over downtown NYC. Now, from the manga it would appear that a good portion of these sections are "shelved" and a lot of use is made of the side walls. Still, there are more than a few views that imply that there are at least one or two sections that spread more or less the entire surface.

File comment: sorry, had to be resized way down
top down nyc.gif
top down nyc.gif [ 193.32 KiB | Viewed 18079 times ]

And what a surface it is. From the south edge of Central Park, all the way up to 120th Street. A good third of Manhattan can be fit on Sidonia in one layer.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:03 am
HumanPosts: 7Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:24 am

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 am
Silicon CreaturePosts: 62Location: Somewere in the MegaStructureJoined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:35 pm
nice, it reminds me of one i made a few months ago, but am a busy person so i did't detailed it enough, if you want the model i can share, it was done in Rhino :3
Attachments:
sidonia2.jpg
sidonia2.jpg [ 62.93 KiB | Viewed 18061 times ]

sidonia.jpg
sidonia.jpg [ 55.86 KiB | Viewed 18061 times ]

Last edited by theuderic on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:54 am
Nice looking. Thanks but no thanks on the offer of the model; if I don't have the previous measurements I used memorized on a model it takes me forever and a day to re-figure things each time.

Offline Profile