[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
heeen's blame forum • View topic - just downloading vol. 10...

<  Manga  ~  just downloading vol. 10...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:42 am
Site AdminPosts: 322Location: GermanyJoined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:08 pm
at first i had to struggle with myself, wether i should wait until the printed version is available or not, but i think, as i'm going to buy the printed version anyways, i can't resist downloading with all you guys debating about the last chapters... :)

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:00 am
uhmmm... ermm.... confused :roll: :shock:

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:51 pm
ExterminatorPosts: 137Location: Valdivia, ChileJoined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:07 pm
If you're confused I guess you probably read it already right? Well, don't worry about it, it's a bit difficult to grasp at first what exactly is going on but it'll make sense eventually.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:02 pm
BuilderPosts: 46Location: GermanyJoined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:30 pm
hey!! this is a completely open ending!! :,( why did nihei stop there, at the point of the most tension!?!?

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:08 pm
It's not a completely open ending if you understood it correctly. Check out Phrostay's and my comments in the "best character" thread. See if you agree, or have any objections. If you do have objections, please post them here or send me a PM (private message). If there are errors in my theory I'd like to correct them :)

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:58 pm
yes, ok. it's not completely open.
but can't you connect with the net sphere also with an network implant? in noise is only mentioned that these implants are only for the higher positioned people, but not which the function is. the order took only away children without implants, to enter the netsphere and activate the safeguards. so children with implants wouldn't activate them, right?
i think killy has such an implant that activates in vol. 3. or why should he have this display in his eye?

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:57 am
Ok, I'll clarify some of your doubts there.
First, network implants are the same thing as Net Genes. You may be thinking that it doesn't say that in the manga anywhere, and you'd be right, because it doesn't. However, one can at least infer from the transition from NOiSE to BLAME! that Net Genes are at least something of a replacement to what in NOiSE was called network implants. You can go further by reading the book "Feersum Endjinn" by Iain Banks, that was listed in second place in Nihei's bibliography in the "BLAME! and so on" art-book. In that book one character (Pieter Velteseri , I think) says something to the effect of "why do they call them implants, if they're a part of your phenotype (expressed genes)?". So one can guess that Nihei used this and so in NOiSE, when the Net Sphere was just beginning, they called them implants but, as they became common the term changed to Net Genes. This makes sense because at first they had to be direct modifications of the person's genotype (therefore making sense to call them "implants") whereas later they would probably be inherited (therefore, just Net Genes). The idea for the Megastructure and the embedded hardware for the Net Sphere also came from this book.
Also, while in NOiSE the function of connecting to the Net Sphere is not explained it is implied in the fact that they're only giving access to important people and exterminating those who try to interfere. We learn in BLAME! that the Net Sphere basically has atomic-level control over the base reality, but that no one is actually in control of it at the moment, because there appears not to be any living human with Net Genes in the city (except Seu, because he was safe from the infection being inside Toha, but sadly he was too messed up in the head to do anything but protect Mensab), and the consciousnesses of those who used to be in control were somehow trapped in some remote region (I bet that's the place where Mori [EDIT: I used to think this was Cibo, and I just reread this post, thus it is fixed] was sent in log 64). So all the time we see in BLAME! that the only manifestations of the Net Sphere are automated systems such as the Safeguard who mindlessly try to exterminate anyone or anything that tries to connect or go through a megastructure level (that's because that damages the embedded hardware; this is also basically taken from Feersum Endjinn), and the Governing Agency who are a bit more intelligent but obviously more limited in resources and try to fix the chaos by getting someone with authority, a Net Gene Carrier, to connect and issue new directives (they were probably never designed for such a task, and that's why their resources are so limited; besides there'd be no BLAME! if the GA had the same or more resources as the Safeguard).

You're right in your deductions about why the order took children without implants, I think. That would be my guess as well.

OK, lastly I don't think Killy has implants, because if what I said before is true then that would be the same as Killy having Net Genes thus making his quest pointless. I think Killy is a Safeguard that underwent some weird process and through it became a secret agent for the Governing Agency. Maybe the process was similar to what Sanakan underwent when she became a Governing Agency Representative, but she had less trouble because the process was perfected in the meantime. So seeing as Killy probably had some residual Safeguard info, when Sanakan pumped him full of exterminator-infecting needles, she only woke up that part of him, and therefore his cool Safeguard-vision (I say Safeguard-vision cause Dhomo has the same thing, IIRC ). But anyway, it has nothing to do with Net Genes, or implants.

God, that was long... I hope I didn't mess up, I'm really tired... going to sleep....

Last edited by psiberpunk on Fri May 13, 2005 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:37 pm

Offline Profile WWW ICQ
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:58 pm

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:03 am

Offline Profile ICQ